Wednesday 19 February 2014

Learning to see from a blind man...

A few weeks ago, I was waiting at a stoplight and a man with a seeing-eye German Sheppard dog crossed the busy intersection in front of me.  As he crossed the street, he felt around on the pole for "the  button" to trigger the walk symbol. The light changed and I had the privilege of watching him cross the street again.  I admired how he had such faith in his dog.  The traffic was heavy, but he did not appear tentative at all.  Partway through the intersection I noticed a careless left-turning driver attempt to turn in front of them.  My stomach tightened.  But it did not need to.  The dog turned his upper body in front of the gentleman to stop him from walking and allow the inconsiderate driver to turn directly in front of the duo.

Afterwards, the dog continued to walk with his upper body just slightly turned inwards towards his owner.  He was a protector, and nothing was going to happen to his dear blind friend.   I couldn't help but think of how I had just seen a beautiful picture of how God protects us.  We sometimes fret and worry, but don't need to.  I need to be more like the blind man.  He put his life into the dog's hands and calmly walked into the busy street fully trusting the dog to protect him.  I need to fully rely on God's guidance and protection in my life.  I love how the dog stopped the man from danger then sheltered him the rest of the way across the street.  God warns us of danger and shelters not just across a street but for our whole life.  It makes me think of Psalm 91.

Psalm 91

Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Surely he will save you
    from the fowler’s snare
    and from the deadly pestilence.
He will cover you with his feathers,
    and under his wings you will find refuge;
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
You will not fear the terror of night,
    nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
    nor the plague that destroys at midday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
    ten thousand at your right hand,
    but it will not come near you.
You will only observe with your eyes
    and see the punishment of the wicked.
If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,”
    and you make the Most High your dwelling,
10 no harm will overtake you,
    no disaster will come near your tent.
11 For he will command his angels concerning you
    to guard you in all your ways;
12 they will lift you up in their hands,
    so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the cobra;
    you will trample the great lion and the serpent.
14 “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him;
    I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.
15 He will call on me, and I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble,
    I will deliver him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.”
(NIV www.biblegateway.com) 

I am very thankful for this opportunity "to improve my vison while watching this blind man."  He has no idea he helped improve my sight.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another note, my children recently had their vision assessed at their optometrist.  Rykauna's glasses were falling apart so she needed a new pair.  We figured we may as well check her vision again before buying her a new pair.  

Logan was told he had the vision needed to be an air force pilot. 

Hudson's vision had improved to the point he really doesn't need to wear glasses unless he starts to have eye strain or headaches.  He was also told he could improve his vision by playing more video games... LOL!  The optometrist has a great sense of humour and qualified his statement by saying, "Only if your mom is okay with it."  

Li Lin's vision was okay, but one eye was better than the other.  The eye doctor wanted us to get glasses for her to try to train the lazy eye.  If this doesn't work he will have to "patch" the good eye.  After wearing the glasses for an hour of two, Li Lin will tell me her "eye is fixed".  She does not like wearing her "pretty glasses".  She frequently takes them off... so much so that they are MIA right now.  Hopefully we find them soon...or else the patch may find its way to our home.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...loved this post Sara!! So nice to know that we have a perfect guide that we can trust through each and every circumstance in our lives! And I can't believe some of the inconsiderate drivers out there! Grrr!! Miss ya girlie :) Love Pam xx

    ReplyDelete